Homematic for UK heating control

Support for our english speaking visitors

Moderator: Co-Administratoren

Dolph

Homematic for UK heating control

Beitrag von Dolph » 16.09.2013, 22:39

I am currently investigating improving my heating system to have more zoning control.

In my last house we used the honeywell cm-zone / evohome set up which worked well but I'm hoping to go a bit further and get more control and feedback (internet control and actual temperature recording and feedback like graphs and data tables - i'd like to analyse the data myself to set up some optimum start functionality and perhaps consider external temperature data)

I've been looking mostly at the Homematic hardware, these TRVs seem to be the cheapest i can find that offer temperature feedback ( HM-CC-RT-DN - http://ecohousecomfort.com/termic-zone/ ... uator.html). FS20 hardware appears to require the TRV as well as a room thermostat and the Max hardware doesn't have an easy way to control the boiler.

What I'm wondering is should i be getting the CCU2 or skipping that altogether and get a Pi with the USB configurator and run FHEM? Would the CCU2 be an easier set-up? I'd be looking to set up some weekly schedules and control the boiler when heat is required. Also set up some simple web control for setting up the ability to turn off the heating for a preset time for when we go out.

Which set up is best suited to me?

Also, can anyone suggest which Homematic component would be best to control the boiler - i'd be looking to replace the current single main room thermostat that currently calls for heat.

Anything else I should know / think about?

Thanks in advance

Dolph

Dolph

Re: Homematic for UK heating control

Beitrag von Dolph » 04.10.2013, 16:25

I appreciated my previous request was quite longwinded. I'm pretty certain about most things but if anyone can help with this question it would be much appreciated.

"Can anyone suggest which Homematic component would be best to control the boiler - i'd be looking to replace the current single main room thermostat that currently calls for heat. "

Thanks

Dolph

Markus33
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Beitrag von Markus33 » 04.10.2013, 22:29

Hi Dolph,
I'm hoping to go a bit further and get more control and feedback (internet control and actual temperature recording and feedback like graphs and data tables - i'd like to analyse the data myself to set up some optimum start functionality and perhaps consider external temperature data)
To get graphs ouf of the homematic you need someting like CCU-Historian
https://leinich.net/pages/365
http://www.ccu-historian.de/
(with e.g. chrome browser you get translation)

Regarding Internet Control it depends if you want to open the gates to your network or trust something like OpenVPN (over raspberry pi) or the CloudMatic service from the supplier of Homematic
http://www.meine-homematic.de/en/
What I'm wondering is should i be getting the CCU2 or skipping that altogether and get a Pi with the USB configurator and run FHEM?
It depends on how much time you want to spend and how good you are in computer science.
You will get the fastest results with CCU1 or 2 and some Homematic components connected over RF or/and wired.
Raspberry pi is anyway a good addition to CCU 1 or 2 but very often combined with more time to get everything up and running.
I also started with Homematic and added Rasparry Pi functionality later on.

FHEM as written depends also on your computer science know how.

Markus
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RaspberryMatic auf Raspberry Pi 4 (HMIP-RFUSB) mit 1x Lan Gateway RaspberrryPi 3B+ (HMIP-RFUSB) + RS485 Gateway

hobbyquaker
Danksagung erhalten: 176 Mal

Beitrag von hobbyquaker » 04.10.2013, 22:50

Markus33 hat geschrieben: To get graphs ouf of the homematic you need someting like CCU-Historian
Meanwhile there are alternatives - f.e. the CUxD in combination with CUxD-Highcharts - these two can run on the CCU, so you don't need an extra-Server (what the Historian requires).
Markus33 hat geschrieben:the CloudMatic service from the supplier of Homematic
Let me say this more precise - CloudMatic is *not* from the maker of Homematic (eQ3/ELV), it's from an independent company (IT Beratung Bertelsons UG)

Regards

Goglo
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von Goglo » 06.10.2013, 17:10

I also would recommend buying a CCU - there might be some folks replacing the old one so with some luck you might get a used one at a good price. And I also would reommend using CUxD to log data, unless you are running 24/7 server already.

But To bring the discussion to the topic of the componnets to choose from, the simple on-off actors are specified to 16amps, single phase. So depending on the wiring/wattage of your boiler you might need to check back with an electrician.
83 Kanäle in 50 Geräten:
3x HM-LC-Sw1-Pl, 1x HM-WDS10-TH-O, 5x HM-PB-4-WM, 3x HM-PB-2-WM, 3x HM-LC-Dim1T-FM, 2x HM-Sec-SC, 4x HM-Sec-RHS, 5x HM-CC-VD, 4x HM-CC-TC, 5x HM-LC-Sw1-FM, 2x HM-Sec-MDIR, 1x HM-WDS30-T-O, 1x HM-LC-Sw1-Pl-2, 2x HM-PB-2-WM55, 1x HM-LC-Dim1L-CV, 1x HM-CCU-1, 1x HM-PBI-4-FM, 1x HM-LC-Dim1L-Pl-2, 1x HM-LC-Dim1T-CV, 1x HM-LC-Dim1L-Pl, 1x HM-LC-Sw2-FM, 1x HM-LC-Sw1-SM, 1x HM-Sec-WDS

82 Kanäle in 43 Geräten:
1x HM-PB-2-WM, 2x HM-LC-Bl1-FM, 3x HM-LC-Bl1PBU-FM, 3x HM-PB-2-WM55, 2x HM-PB-4-WM, 9x HM-CC-VD, 8x HM-CC-TC, 2x HM-LC-Sw2-FM, 1x HM-WDS10-TH-O, 1x HM-CCU-1, 1x HM-Sen-MDIR-O, 4x HM-LC-Sw1-FM, 2x HM-SwI-3-FM, 1x HM-LC-Sw4-SM, 1x HM-LC-Sw1-Pl-2, 1x HM-PBI-4-FM, 1x HM-WDS30-T-O

dlw

Beitrag von dlw » 23.10.2013, 14:26

I have just bought the CCU2, 8 HM-CC-RT-DN, 1 HM-LC-Sw1-SM for boiler switch, I am just setting it up now but trying to get my head around the IF & THEN (cause & effect)

I want to use each trv to control the boiler switch using temperature set points.

Onthefly
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Beitrag von Onthefly » 24.10.2013, 12:26

dlw hat geschrieben:I want to use each trv to control the boiler switch using temperature set points.
Hi,
it obviously depends what type of boiler you are uding but generally speaking, the better approach to control the boiler switch is by using VALVE STATE (%) rather than TEMPERATURE SETPOINT. The TEMPERATURE SETPOINT alone is not an indication that the Thermostat needs to heat but the VALVE STATE definitely is. A simple CCU program to control your boiler could look as follows:

IF VALVE STATE (Living Room) is > 10%
OR
IF VALVE STATE (Dining Room) is > 10%
OR
THEN Boiler Switch ON

You can play a bit with the VALVE STATE in % to find the best value matching your installation. However, I would recommend you use a VALVE STATE under 5%. Please also take into consideration that the Thermostats may need a couple of days to adapt to the individual room conditions. My suggestion is that you install the Thermostats and activate a daily AUTO program matching your own needs and let them work for a week before you start testing programs to control your boiler.

Br,
OTF

dlw

Beitrag von dlw » 24.10.2013, 13:00

Thanks,

That is what I have done today :)

I have also set a timer for the morning to start with to see how it goes. Going to install all the TRV's tonight and the switch.

Dolph

Beitrag von Dolph » 25.08.2014, 14:13

Well, i've finally bit the bullet and ordered all the equipment up online from Germany. Much cheaper to order from Germany direct than find a uk supplier.

On top of what DLW bought i've added a HM-PB-4dis-WM and a HM-OU-LED16 to assist in the WAF!

Plan is to set up some more complex scripts in the CCU that can be triggered by with a simple on/off press on the switch. The 16 status display will show which mode is currently enabled and give a summary of which rooms are calling for heat at any time. These will be used in addition to mobile apps and the webui - may even buy a cheap android tablet at some stage to act as the home controller - what do other people do?

One of the annoying things with my old system was never knowing why the boiler was running, how does the homematic system deal with batteries running outn the TRVs? Is there a warning in the ui?

Another question I have though is how does the HM-PB-4dis-WM fix to the wall, do i need a special back box?

Thanks

Roland M.
System: CCU
Danksagung erhalten: 1373 Mal

Beitrag von Roland M. » 25.08.2014, 16:32

Hi,
Dolph hat geschrieben:The 16 status display will show which mode is currently enabled and give a summary of which rooms are calling for heat at any time.
Same here.

LED off = valve shut completly.
LED green = valve open 1..10%
LED orange = 11..30%
LED red = >30%

These will be used in addition to mobile apps and the webui - may even buy a cheap android tablet at some stage to act as the home controller - what do other people do?
Use apps and tablets... ;)

how does the homematic system deal with batteries running outn the TRVs? Is there a warning in the ui?
Yes, there should be a warning.
You can even read the battery status in a program, which would make a fine task for the LED16.

Another question I have though is how does the HM-PB-4dis-WM fix to the wall, do i need a special back box?
As far as I know, the mounting plate is part of the set, same as the other similar HM components (mounting plate can be screwed or glued to the wall).

Roland
Zur leichteren Hilfestellung bitte unbedingt beachten:
  • Bezeichnung (HM-... bzw. HmIP-...) der betroffenen Geräte angeben (nicht Artikelnummer)
  • Kurzbeschreibung des Soll-Zustandes (Was soll erreicht werden?)
  • Kurzbeschreibung des Ist-Zustandes (Was funktioniert nicht?)
  • Fehlermeldungen genau abschreiben, besser noch...
  • Screenshots von Programmen, Geräteeinstellungen und Fehlermeldungen (direkt als jpg/png) einstellen!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. CCU2 mit ~100 Geräten (in Umstellung auf RaspberryMatic-OVA auf Proxmox-Server)
2. CCU2 per VPN mit ~50 Geräten (geplant: RaspberryMatic auf Charly)
3. CCU2 per VPN mit ~40 Geräten (geplant: RaspberryMatic auf CCU3)
CCU1, Test-CCU2, Raspi 1 mit kleinem Funkmodul, RaspberryMatic als VM unter Proxmox, Access Point,...

Antworten

Zurück zu „HomeMatic - english“