Is Homematic right for me (simple zoned heating system)?

Support for our english speaking visitors

Moderator: Co-Administratoren

Antworten
lineweight

Is Homematic right for me (simple zoned heating system)?

Beitrag von lineweight » 23.11.2015, 00:10

I am trying to understand how easy it is to set up a simple Homematic system, but I am struggling a bit, partly because there is not much info in English (I can speak a bit of German but get a bit lost when things get technical).

I have a small combi boiler which runs just 5 radiators in a 2 bedroom flat. At the moment I have the typical UK set-up (which is a bit useless) of a main "room stat" in the hallway and TRVs on the radiators.

But I would like to be able to control 3 or 4 zones independently, ideally via an easy-to-understand user interface, which could be on a smartphone or web interface.

There are some systems available in the UK (Evohome or Heat Genius) that can do this but they are very expensive. So I am looking at Homematic.

Can anyone help me with the following questions?

1) It looks like I need to get a HM-CC-RT-DN for each radiator, and a CCU2, which has a webUI where I can control and programme the system. But I'm not sure what I need to use for the boiler switch (I don't want to have the boiler constantly running, even when none of the TRVs are demanding heat). Is there a boiler switch that will only operate the boiler when one of the TRVs calls for heat?

2) How easy is the CCU2 webUI to set up and use? If I don't have a lot of computing knowledge, is this the wrong system for me?

3) Can I then control the system from a smartphone app, and is there one that is easy to set up and use?

4) There seems to be a newer system called "Homematic IP", which looks like maybe it is more user-freindly for someone like me. Is it a better option for me?

5) With the "Homematic IP" system I have the same question about the boiler switch. This system doesn't seem to offer a boiler switch. Does this mean I have to have the boiler constantly switched on?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Roland M.
System: CCU
Danksagung erhalten: 1357 Mal

Re: Is Homematic right for me (simple zoned heating system)?

Beitrag von Roland M. » 23.11.2015, 08:33

Hello and welcome!
lineweight hat geschrieben:1) It looks like I need to get a HM-CC-RT-DN for each radiator, and a CCU2,
Correct.
You may add the optional room thermostats HM-TC-IT-WM-W-EU for easier handling or accurate measurement (sitting area for instance).

But I'm not sure what I need to use for the boiler switch
That's the tricky part!
You have to emulate the existing room stat.
Not knowing the actual wirering diagram it's hard to say that you need this or that.

2) How easy is the CCU2 webUI to set up and use? If I don't have a lot of computing knowledge, is this the wrong system for me?
Basically it's very easy.
To programme you simple select items from drop down menus.
You just need a program like

Code: Alles auswählen

IF Valve1 > 10%
OR Valve2 > 10%
OR ...
THEN Boiler = on
ELSE Boiler = off
3) Can I then control the system from a smartphone app, and is there one that is easy to set up and use?
There are several apps available, for all user levels from "Rooky" to "Expert"! :D

4) There seems to be a newer system called "Homematic IP", which looks like maybe it is more user-freindly for someone like me. Is it a better option for me?
Well, the new HM-IP is user frendly, but at the moment there are only few components available. As said above controling the boiler will be the tricky part, I guess this will be easier with Homematic.

Does this mean I have to have the boiler constantly switched on?
You can't do that, the boiler would do a emergency shut off to prevent overheating.

Roland
Zur leichteren Hilfestellung bitte unbedingt beachten:
  • Bezeichnung (HM-... bzw. HmIP-...) der betroffenen Geräte angeben (nicht Artikelnummer)
  • Kurzbeschreibung des Soll-Zustandes (Was soll erreicht werden?)
  • Kurzbeschreibung des Ist-Zustandes (Was funktioniert nicht?)
  • Fehlermeldungen genau abschreiben, besser noch...
  • Screenshots von Programmen, Geräteeinstellungen und Fehlermeldungen (direkt als jpg/png) einstellen!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. CCU2 mit ~100 Geräten (in Umstellung auf RaspberryMatic-OVA auf Proxmox-Server)
2. CCU2 per VPN mit ~50 Geräten (geplant: RaspberryMatic auf Charly)
3. CCU2 per VPN mit ~40 Geräten (geplant: RaspberryMatic auf CCU3)
CCU1, Test-CCU2, Raspi 1 mit kleinem Funkmodul, RaspberryMatic als VM unter Proxmox, Access Point,...

lineweight

Beitrag von lineweight » 23.11.2015, 10:45

Hi Roland

Thanks for your reply.
Roland M. hat geschrieben:That's the tricky part!
You have to emulate the existing room stat.
Not knowing the actual wirering diagram it's hard to say that you need this or that.
The boiler is an Intergas HRE 24/18. Here is the wiring diagram -
Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 09.34.23.jpg
I think it has both 24V and 230V connections for a room stat.

lineweight

Beitrag von lineweight » 23.11.2015, 10:50

Roland M. hat geschrieben: You can't do that, the boiler would do a emergency shut off to prevent overheating.

Roland
Yes, what i mean is that the boiler would be constantly shutting down and then starting up again. I have seen some systems that seem to use the boiler's own emergency shut-off this way, but it seems to me that it can't be very good for the boiler and must waste energy. For example, the system described in "option 2" on this page:

http://ecohousecomfort.com/termic-zone/max-range.html

Antworten

Zurück zu „HomeMatic - english“